I have mixed feelings about GNOME Music, but in terms of UX, it just kills
it; it's dead simple and it just works.
I like GNOME Photos, a lot, but I don't know if 3.16 is good enough
(comparing with the 3.18/20 image editing stuff) as an alternative to
Shotwell.

In my opinion, just go for it. Replacing Rhythmbox and Shotwell would also
help us killing some dependencies, which is always thanked.

Cheers.