Hello everyone,

I wanted to talk a bit on the topic of marketing and spreading the word
about what we all have in common - the love for Ubuntu and GNOME. In the
artwork team we already agreed we would try and dedicate more time to
creating more banners and other propagation material for social media,
since it has the widest reach to our target audience by far.

What saddens me in particular is that I haven't seen an update from our
social media feeds at Twitter and Google+ (I don't own a Facebook
account, so know nothing about that - yeah, call me Snow) in a while
now, apart from the regular "Contact us" links to our Wiki, or a FAQ
update from time to time. In order to increase our user base (both users
and developers) and promote Ubuntu GNOME in general more effort needs to
be put in.

I've checked the rankings on Distrowatch and although they are not the
most accurate ones, they are a factor many people rely on. Ubuntu GNOME
is one of the distros striving for a pure GNOME experience and we are
also recommended via the official GNOME page, but that won't cut it if
we won't show more effort in promoting ourselves and GNOME as well.
There are people even among us who have high hopes and demands on Ubuntu
GNOME. The recent survey has shown, that most users would welcome always
the freshest out of the lab, although we all know we definitely won't
make it to 3.18 with this cycle just behind the door, but by increasing
our marketing efforts we could definitely attract more people to the
project and that way boost our capacities. As an example, look at
distros like Linux Mint with a flourishing community, which is why it
gets so much love and people simply adore the Mint experience. It seems
Mint has gotten to the point where they need to show little effort in
marketing, because the brand "sells" on its own. We need just that.

I am not saying we are not sought out, all I am saying is that some
people in some departments could do a lot more than they do, which is in
no way meant to force anyone to do anything, but it begs the question:
"If we love something, doesn't it deserve more of our love?"

We know we at the artwork team are also to blame, because things haven't
been progressing faster really, as everyone here is a volunteer and does
what they can when they can, which is always appreciated, but things
could get more exciting if there was just a little bit more love from
the departments that can make a difference with their skill sets put
into the project.

(I may be wrong on some points, particularly with social media, but the
above just sums up how I feel about things.)
--
Patrik Bubák
Ubuntu GNOME Artwork team  |  Behance.net

Sent using Evolution

Nothing ruins creativity like too many voices weighing in. We call it
the Ice Cream Principle. Tell 10 people to go get ice cream with one
condition: they all have to agree on one flavour. That flavour is going
to be chocolate or vanilla every time. Groups of people don't agree on
what's cool or interesting, they agree on what's easy to agree on.