On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Frank M Waterman
<thepcmedici...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the end of life for 16.04 LTS is not until two years from now, why is the
> GNOME3 PPAs for it being shut down and why are you (and by extension the
> GNOME team) recommending upgrading to 16.10 when the end of life for its
> PPAs is coming up in May of this year? Perhaps I have missed a key point,
> but I do not understand. My apologies for my confusion.

I hope my reply isn't even more confusing!

Non-LTS releases are not supported for very long at all after the next
Ubuntu release is available. This allows developers to focus on
developing future releases while supporting a choice of either an LTS
or the newest release. Ubuntu 17.04 will be released in two weeks.
It's important that 16.10 users upgrade promptly but you can wait a
few weeks.

Ubuntu 16.10 offers a better GNOME 3.20 experience than 16.04 LTS. Let
me give 2 brief examples of issues with 16.04 + the GNOME3 Staging
PPA:
- Every single time there's a new webkit2gtk security update (and
there are multiple every year), it has to be rebuilt in the 16.04
GNOME3 Staging PPA or else apps like evolution won't display
correctly.
- There is a gnome-keyring issue that I believe was resolved in 16.10
by converting gnome-keyring, gnome-session and more to systemd user
sessions. This is too disruptive of a change to try to backport since
it could introduce problems for those running other desktops.

Conclusion: If you want stability, it's best to stay on the LTS
without the GNOME3 PPAs. If you want the latest and greatest, it's
best to upgrade to the new non-LTS releases.

Jeremy