Adding Virtual Hosts to Ubuntu Apache
Posted on February 28,
2009<http://brucewampler.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/adding-virtual-hosts-to-ubuntu-apache/>
by brucewampler <http://brucewampler.wordpress.com/author/brucewampler/>

Now that I have Ubuntu installed and the Apache server working, I need to
configure some Virtual Hosts. I have several names registered at
dyndns.comthat all point to the same IP. Right after you get Apache
going, it defaults
to serving from a default location, in this case /var/www. Any http requests
coming into the box are all routed to that directory.

But Apache can support multiple virtual hosts. So if I route say
example1.dnsalias.com and example2.dynalias.com to my IP via dyndns.com, I
want them to be each served from their own directory. The default
/var/wwwhas system ownership and would need to be changed. So I'm
going to create a
directory for each site under my user directory. So I'll create
/home/bruce/sites/example1 and /home/bruce/sites/example2 to host the files
for each site.

Now we need to make Apache use them. In the default configuration, Apache is
already set up to support multiple virtual Hosts. In order to get the new
sites working, we need to create a couple of configuration files in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available directory, then enable them, and then restart
Apache.

If you look in the sites-available, you'll find a file called default. This
represents the default Apache serving configuration. Copy this file twice to
serve as a basis for the new configuration files. sudo cp default
example1and sudo
cp default example2. You need to make two or three changes to *each* of
these files, and add one line. There's a line in the file tagged ServerAdmin.
If you want, you can make the value a real e-mail address. There are also
two lines labeled Document Root and another in a %lt;Directory>
statementthat have the path to the directory being served - in this
case, it should
be /var/www/. Change both of those to the directory that will contain the
new site files - /home/bruce/sites/example1/ and again with example2.

Almost done. Now after the ServerAdmin line add a new line:
ServerName example1.dynalias.com and again with example2 file. Use whatever
actual domain names you've registered with dyndns.com or other dynamic name
server you're using.

So now in addition to the */etc/apache2/sites-available/default* file,
you'll have two more files - example1 and example2, which have been modified
to point to the actual hosting directories, and with the appropriate domain
names.

Now we have to tell Apache to serve the new domains. Ubuntu has a couple of
convenience commands to enable and disable sites. So, to enable the new
sites, enter sudo a2ensite example1 and again sudo a2ensite example2. These
commands copy the configuration files you created into the
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled directory. We're almost there.

Finally, you have to restart Apache2 so that it reconfigures to serve the
new sites. Simply enter sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload.

Be sure there's an index.html file with some content in each of the
/home/username/sites/example1 and example2 directories. Now if you enter
http://example1.dnsalias.com to a browser, you should see the contents of
the appropriate file.

I hope I've made these steps pretty clear. It really isn't that hard.

   1. Create directories to host the content of a new virtual site.
   2. Make a copy of the /etc/apache2/sites-available/defaults file with a
   site appropriate name.
   3. Change the two /var/www/ entries to the actual directory of the new
   site.
   4. Add the ServerName line with the real domain name you will be hosting.
   5. Use a2ensite to enable the new site, and finally reload Apache2 so it
   knows about the new site

One point to add though - after making all these changes  you will *need to
add example1.com to /etc/hosts.conf*

2011/3/29 Alexandros Georgopoulos <alexander_...@hotmail.com>

> παμε στην επομενη ερωτηση τωρα.... :P :P
> πως μπορω να κανω το test.dyndns.org να ανοιγει τον φακελο test και να μην
> διαβαζει το κεντρικο /www/
>
> > Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:12:51 +0300
> > From: platsa...@gmail.com
> > To: ubuntu-gr@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Subject: Re: erwthseis gia server
> >
> > Ας ελπισουμε οτι δεν ειναι production το μηχανημα :)
> > On 03/29/2011 03:03 PM, Alexandros Georgopoulos wrote:
> > > δούλεψε!! :) ναι κατι γινοταν με το σκριπτ λογικά. τασβησα ολα, ξανα
> ανεβασα τα αρχεια εδωσα permissions στα αρχεια που ζητουσε το σκριπτ κ
> δουλεψε κανονικα. :)
> > >
> > > σασ ευχαριστω παρα πολυ όλους για την υποστιριξη παιδια και σιγουρα
> κατι θα προκυψει πάλι.... :P :)
> >

> > --

Παναγιώτης Θεοδωρόπουλος
Panagiotis Theodoropoulos