And for some TATA phones... before dailing make sure you turn on Speaker button.. very important

----- Original Message ----
From: Priyank khamitkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ubuntu India Local Community <ubuntu-in@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:40:24 AM
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-in] Newbie with Ubuntu Linux 6.06

>>1. configuring my PC tel HSP 56 micromodem in ubuntu
>>2. configuring my Tata Indicom fixed line modem  in ubuntu for internet connection.
Connect your GNU/Linux box to the internet.
Connecting Ubuntu to Linux using an LSP 340E phone(FWP) for TATA Indicom / Reliance

create a wvdial.conf file in /etc using nano or vi or emacs with sudo( sudo nano wvdial.conf ).
then copy the following to the file

[Dialer Defaults]

Modem = /dev/ttyS0

Baud = 115200

SetVolume=0

Init1 = ATZ

Init2 = AT+CRM=1

ISDN = 0

Modem Type = Analog Modem

FlowControl=Hardware(CRTSCTS)

Phone = #777

Username = <phone no>(for Rel)/ internet (for TATA)

Password = <phone no> (for Rel)/ internet (for TATA)

Stupid Mode=1

Then create /etc/resolv.conf using vi or nano with sudo

type:

nameserver 202.138.103.100

nameserver 202.138.96.2

THIS SPECIFIES THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY DNS SERVERS.
Then in terminal type

'sudo wvdial'

and bingo u r on.

[ Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
SetVolume=0
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT+CRM=1
FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
Username = internet
Password = internet
Stupid Mode = 1

The above one is for TATA Indicom (LG-350) phone..

>>3. If ubuntu can be installed on a diff partition in the same disk having windows xp?If yes >>then howto?
 This can be done by a simple method just you need to have atleast 2 GB space free. During installation you just select the option USE FREE CONTIGIOUS SPACE and the rest will be done itself after completing the installation you will have a dual boot with Ubuntu and Xp.
    Please correct me if i am wrong