Onkar Shinde wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This is a follow up on the previous posts on piracy
>>
>> there is a persistent issue of Ubuntu not being totally open source and
>> that it includes components (codecs etc ) that are propreitory and that
>> basically go against the GNU/Linux core FLOSS philosophy
>>
>> comments !!!
>
> Wrong analogy.

yep true

Just that while the discussions on the ebook were on it struck me that
this was one question i had been wantin to ask - to clarify

> The ebook was published by someone (or some company)
> and there is no mention about it being freely redistributable.
> FOSS is about sharing but not something which is not owned by you or
> when you don't have license for sharing.

FOSS yes but the question still is about the proprietory stuff -  the
difference i guess is that a. the proprietory drivers, etc are not
licensed as open source - even if they are freely distributable

[whereas in the case of the book it is not freely distributable (and nor
is it open source)]

thanks
ram