If you prefer  BSNL Broadband connection, you can apply online(
www.bsnl.co.in) You can view tariff also along with modem charges etc.  BSNL
people will do everything at the time of connection provided if you have
bsnl landline phone. If you have modem purchased, BSNL will help you.
-bye

On 5/13/07, Onkar Shinde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5/12/07, Anurag Mishra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> If you remember I earlier emailed that I sent my Dell 5100 with UBUNTU
6.06
> to my parents in India (Lansdowne).  They weren't able to configure the
> internal modem for internet connection.  I suggested them to buy a
serial
> modem and the shopkeepr convimced them to install windows XP.  Anyways,
they
> weren't able to buy that modem because of smart shopkeepers. I am going
> post them a serial modem from here (US). Does anybody have any
experience
> setting up that modem? I would really appreciate that support.

Anurag,

I am assuming that you are talking about external modem for dialup.
These modems (often referred as hard modems) are supported out of box.
All one has to do is setup the dialer. I can send (i.e. sell ;-) ) my
modem to your parents because it is lying around since I opted for
broadband connection. Let me know what you think.

Personally I would prefer using BSNL broadband if it is available
since it is quite cheap and speed is great.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.