shirish wrote:
> Hi all,
>         I don't know what the romanticism is of doing a dist-upgrade
> through the net is. It would be much better to download the edgy
> alternate .iso & point to that for upgrade. The reason is fairly
> obvious. If for some reason the net connection goes out your system is
> in an unusable state, whereas if you use the CD, then it should not
> take more than 1/2 hr. to do the upgrade. As it is you are downloading
> close to 600 MiB data or more during the upgrade anyhow so it makes
> sense to upgrade using the CD & then track the remaining upgrades
> through the net.

Yeah sure, no romanticism absolutely - but there are other complications
that i was not able to resolve - I have the entire edgy reposiroty - 4
dvd's worth - and for some reason my system refuses to accept them even
though they worked on other systems,

leaving me with two options one to leave my system or attempt an over
the net upgrade.

as it happens the upgrade failed - after downloading all the packages
and installing them it gave up midway and says your system is now unstable

guess i have no choice now but to do a complete reinstall and that too
straight to 7.04

very frustrated

ram