On 10/16/07, Roshan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- nan budh wrote:
>
> > lets have a newbie developer section which has
> > detailed tutorial on how to become an ubuntu
> > developer. i do not simply mean telling about
> > programming languages but on specifics requirement
> > of ubuntu/linux platform. kinda like graded steps,
> > step 1: learn this(learn python/java), step 2:learn
> > that (read up linux basics tute etc.), step 3: learn
> > about gtk etc and so on and the last step: now go
> > develop something for ubuntu.
> > in other words clear milestones.
>
> Umm, this should be actually formulated and presented
> at FOSS.IN/2007 at the project day.

I accept that this is a good topic for presentation, but IMHO the way
you move up the learning curve is something different in each
individual and having a common step-wise-procedure will not prove
good. The way I feel better is start using, start exploring, start
discussing, keep learning.

I don't suggest any one to learn anything specifically like Python or
Bash or Perl, unless they have an interest in programming. For normal
usage, we need to know how to use a terminal, how to Google and
optionally how to use/talk in IRC (and how to use a pastebin thereby
:P).

There are lots of online tutorials on basic shell commands, etc. which
are enough. Other things can be learned in time, my real time
experience as necessity arises. Trying out beta version of Ubuntu,
reporting bugs and fixing broken packages can be really a worthy
experience. Trying to do source install and getting the latest
versions, instead of using apt-get/synaptic can also be a good
experience. No book can be better than or compensate experience. :)

--
Parthan "Technofreak"

[web] http://technofreak.in
[irc] teKnofreak @ irc.freenode.net