Dear Friends,

This is my last mail to this thread, which I would have otherwise
forbidden from if not I have received a series of replies
(+personally) to my earlier mail.

My PoV is that "Ubuntu Promotion" looks something like a commercially
interested team rather than a Community interested team, which the
Loco team already is. From your reply, which talked about Ubuntu
Marketing, I am to presume that "Ubuntu India Promotions" will also be
having a similar commercial interest ? If then, it makes sense to
operate independently|parallel from the Loco Team, as we (the loco
team) are mainly community and contribution focussed than commercial
interests. If am not wrong, even Mark has kept the Marketing separate
from the Community and I have been into lot of situation where people
were ready to accept the Community part of Ubuntu but not the
Marketing part.

I would like to make it clear that am no way opposing your initiative
or endeavor, but I personally stay away from anything involving
commercial interests and politics (not valid in the current context,
though). If your new team is focussed more on marketing aspects, then
fine but /me gets excluded while there are/might be many members who
have similar interests and will be ready to join you. But I feel it is
necessary to keep the Community aspect separated from the Marketing
aspect, to keep us going without troubles.

To quote your earlier mail -- """I am just trying to bring all the
Indian Ubenteros into a single platform.. I am not against newbies as
I am helping them out to the fullest in the answer tracker... And By
this i am encouraging more and more people to become ubenteros...I
Know that loco teams are bringing ubuntu passionate people together..
Its just that I am thinking to model our LoCo team like ubuntu in
launchpad..."""

This is what I have been pointing out to be similar to the Loco Team
and questioned the reason for a parallel track. I never meant you to
be against something, nor I am opposing your endeavor. But this
clashes with the interest of the Loco team and I prefer to oppose
anything which splits or unnecessarily goes on a parallel track. This
was the same reason I (and many others) opposed another Ubuntu-India
web site which had been put up some time ago because the person
thought he wasn't recognized by some one leading our team. Unnecessary
parallel tracks only leads to confusion. When we are in our budding
stages we need to have single source of information and resource and
that is what he have been doing as the Loco team.

You have also mentioned in your mail to me that """Now the quesstion
arises Why should we have a marketing team seperately while the loco
team is taking care of it?""" I have clearly stated my PoV for this
above.

 """My view and answer for this question is Why Should we have
different translation teams in Kannada,Tamil,Telugu and so on? The
Indian loco council can do region/zone wise scouting for experts in a
particular language by sending a mail or announcing it on the irc..
and then open up few wiki pages pertaining to the language and new
members can be taken in by an interview by these experts thus getting
to know their credentials (just as in the case of an Ubuntu CC
meeting) and add them to thieir respective team pages  with a link to
each of members' Ubuntu/Ubuntu-India wiki."""

Language teams are different from Marketing teams. Language forms a
part and parcel of the distribution and all the localization efforts
happening in both downstream and upstream. Hence we need special
groups to do the localization work in each language. Having a central
localization team will be good for co-ordination but not for the real
work to be done as it will leave to chaos as every one talks in the
same place in their own languages. Please do not confuse different
aspects that are entirely different.

"""Similarly I have set up a Promoters team to focus on marketing of
ubuntu in India and thereby distributing the work load.. """

If it is specifically for marketing aspect of Ubuntu in India, I do
not have any issues and it goes out of the scope of my concern. If you
need any help, I can talk about this to Matthew Barker who is the
Ubuntu Marketing guy for Asia. But please do not confuse between
marketing and community aspects of Ubuntu. The Loco team is the
Community team in India, and all other regional, language oriented
teams are umbrella teams under it. Hope the ubuntu-tam team also
agrees on this ;)

Wish you all the best :)

Note: Please don't mind quoting some personally mentioned reasons, I
thought it is better to address it in public scope of the team rather
than private scope as I happen to see a lot of newbiews into the team
of late and better to let them know also.

--
Parthan "Technofreak"

[web] http://technofreak.in
[irc] teKnofreak @ irc.freenode.net