Hi

On Nov 24, 2007 6:56 AM, Vivek Khurana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To copy a dvd/cd tdo the following
>
> 1) Create  a directory, preferably called 'ubuntu'.
> 2) Copy 'pool' and 'dists' directory from cd/dvd to ubuntu directory
> 3) modify the sources.list file and add the following
>  dists  pool
>
>   deb file:///<full path to directory>/ubuntu main <any other tree you
> have>

ok will do this but (as below) i have 5 dvd's of the ubuntu 7.10 repository.
So how do i make the pool and dists for these separate dvd;s

what is this tree  - all the 5 dvd's have the same  dists  pool directory
setup

so will i have to have sub directories indicating , for eg.
/fullpath/ubuntu/dvd1 ... dvd2 and so on

> 4) do apt-get update
>
>  For more specific instruction let us know exactly how you want to use
> the local repository.

I have a 5 dvd set for ubuntu 7.10 and want to do a few things with it

1. First have the entire repository on an external hard disk so that i can
update  all the ubuntu machines that are possible.

am assuming if i direct the apt-get on my 7.04 machine to this new
repository my update / upgrade will be nice and easy without breaking the
system and maintaining my various handmade configs as it is (having
personalized grub and the login screen and the various usb devices internet
card, cdma phone
etc as it is)

2. Make it easier to install any programme without having to pop in and pop
out a variety of dvd's

thanks
ram