Ah, the whole 'Shipit' dilemma.

Firstly, i'd like to say that i am strongly against people misusing
shipit, and have tried very hard to discourage people from ordering
the cds.
With this in mind, i hope everyone bears with me for a moment :

As almost all college-fests go these days, 'Apogee' involves lots of
prizes. Most events have huge cash prizes (atleast for a college
event, IMHO) - i am talking of anything in the range of 1-50K,
sometimes even more than that. 'Big' events like these attract lots of
crowds. We dont  _want_ to have such an event, partly because we are
not funded by anyone, but mainly because it will simply not serve the
purpose.

Instead, we thought of attracting the 'mildly interested' audience -
those who have heard of linux, seen it on their friends' computers, or
might have even just installed it. So, thinking what we could offer as
'prizes' for showing up and winning these events, the first thing that
came to my mind was 'CDs'.
CDs also happen to be the 'easiest' solution - since canonical
_already_ ships them. What i mean is, i think CDs are a good thing to
give away because of the easy availability and high impact.
Another question is how do we attract the 'veterans' - those who are
experienced enough - what might attract them? As pointed earlier,
merchandise is hard to come-by in India, so that might be a good
start. But i guess even that might not prove to be sufficient enough.

If anyone can come up with something more attractive or innovative,
i'd be really happy to hear it. The main problem is actually vying for
attention - how do we persuade people to come when another event being
held concurrently is offering a prize of 50k.

Hope i got the point across...