have you tried mencoder. check if mplayer can play the rm file.
i use the following to convert my videos from camcorder to a lower quality
to save on my mobile or web
mencoder source.avi -sws 2 -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=350 -vf scale=320:240  -ofps 18 -o output.avi

you might not need the -vf scale . or you can try using -oac copy
I dont think I have a rm file right now to try, but i believe it should work

the mencoder/mplayer man page has all the information you will ever need.
Then there's also google.