On 3/22/08, Sanjay Bhangar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey ..
>
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Ramnarayan. K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Jasbir,
> >
> > 1. I added the opendns namservers while the connection was off and it
> > did not work
> > infact when i did less /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > it only showed the normal nameservers
> >
> > i then live added the above opendns - and it worked ??
> >
> > Why ?? can i make these permanent additions ??

The dialer programs be it wvdial or adsl pppoeconf upon successful
connection gets the DNS entries from the ISP and overwrites them in
etc/resolv.conf . Also while disconnecting remove these entries. There
is provision in the config files of these dialers to disable this auto
feature.
In case of wvdial add this line in /etc/wvdial.conf
Auto DNS=off

> I've had this problem before where Ubuntu keeps changing resolv.conf and it
> can get quite irritating -- not sure if this was the most elegant solution,
> but I would do:
>  $sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf  (this makes the file 'immutable' and thus
> network-manager can't automatically change it.. )
@Sanjay
That is a bit excessive. You need to find out the exact program which
is making changes to resolv.conf and disable the option.