On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 09:15 +0530, shirish wrote:
> 3. Are there any hardware-vendors who have or are thinking of having a
> GNU/Linux service support team. That would make a big difference to an
> everyday user rather than people like us who just like to tinker/fool
> around and do have time to see what works and what doesn't. ;)

In the US as well as in Europe, there are several hardware vendors who
produce, sell, and provide technical support for their own native Linux
machines. That includes both desktops and laptops. These machines come
with Linux--mostly Ubuntu--preconfigured on them. Some of them provide
the option for a dual boot with XP or Vista at your request. But all
come with a Linux OS, with the guarantee that all of the hardware in the
computer works out of the box with the OS. That includes sound, video,
DVD playback, wireless, and webcam. And they provide ongoing support as
well, mostly 1-3 years for the hardware warranty with unlimited
technical phone and email support.

I have become fascinated with these companies, as a user who currently
owns a preconfigured windows machine and has spent an extraordinary
amount of time in the past year working on getting Ubuntu working on his
machine in all the various aspects. I am looking to purchase a laptop,
and after consideration of what is available on the market today,
decided that since I spend 99.9% of my time on the Linux side of my dual
boot, I am going to invest in a machine in which professional people
have dedicated to making LINUX work on it, and NOT Windows. Let the
purchase price go toward making the OS you are actually going to USE,
work.

I am more familiar with the US companies which provide such machines,
and will give you some of their websites below. I have been impressed
with their product profiles, and after extensive communication with
their personnel, are impressed with the staff as well. These companies
are dedicated to the production of excellent Linux machines, in which
all the hardware components have been carefully selected to work
explicitly with Linux.

Here below are the sites. Enjoy.

These two build their own machines and supply only Ubuntu on them (they
will supply a dual boot with XP at your request, but Ubuntu is the only
Linux distribution they supply; their default configuration is one OS:
Ubuntu alone.):

1. http://system76.com/
2. http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

This company builds its own machines and supplies your choice of Linux
distrubution (Ubuntu/Fedora/RedHat)

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

This company purchases high-end laptops from large OEM companies
(Sony,IBM,Dell,Panasonic) and sets them up and sells and supports them
as preconfigured Linux machines (distribution your choice):

http://www.emperorlinux.com/

Swarup