On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM, 74yrs old <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lists.
> How to create administorID and password or  any alternative solution to
> overcome the problem noted below. In ubuntu, it appears there is no
> provision to  create password for "root" or "administrator".whereas in other
> distros there is provision to create password for "root". Since I newbie to
> Ubuntu 8.04 I request valuable guidance. *
>

> *

Hi, for security in ubuntu, the use of sudo is preferred. root user is
assigned random password, afaik. But if you want to set the password for
root, that is very simple.
$ sudo passwd root

Enter the user's password to get access through sudo, and then passwd
program runs with root priviledges.

Prefer running programs with sudo if administrative right is needed.

--
-=Ravi=-