Thanks Parthan and Onkar for your replies.

I had the banshee from the main repos installed already. I installed the
banshee-1 package from the ppa, so now I have two of them. I don't want
to remove the main banshee package, parthan as the songs are rated, and
banshee maintains a database of the songs. The new banshee-1 that I
installed also automatically created or used the already existing
database. My fear was that the ratings would disappear if I simply
installed the new version over the old one. Since I already installed
the banshee-1, I can confirm that this is true.

I don't suppose that will happen if I were to wait for the official
upgrade with the new distribution (sorry Onkar if i am assuming too
much). In other words, the softwares in the ppa repos are only for trial
purposes and not for final use!!

regards,
Biswajit
aka orthodoc