On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Puneeth Chaganti <puncha...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Some (simple) things like caching packages or concurrent installation
> etc could be useful. Hopefully, someone can help.

I've had fabulous experience with apt-cacher in the past to cache all
downloaded packages onto one machine in the network so if another machine
needs the same package subsequently, it fetches it from the local network
and not from the internet.

Its a really nice bonus of having everyone in the same network using the
same OS, i think, and is really nice to be able to start getting packages
withing seconds as long as someone on the network has downloaded them
before..

This basically works by setting up apt-cacher on the server machine, and
then pointing the sources.list files on each machine of the network to the
server with apt-cacher. Then when you apt-get a package, it will first
check  the local server - if available, will download from there, if not,
will fetch from the internet. And after that, if someone else is downloading
the same package, it will be cached locally. After a little while, you find
most packages already existing on the local network and installing anything
anywhere becomes really quick..

I'm sure you'll find tons of instructions on how to setup apt-cacher - and
feel free to ask me / the list if questions ..

There's a lot more to migration, of course - but I think the focus tends to
be often on "oh, i do such and such in Windows.. can I do the same  in
Ubuntu .. ?", and while its important to let people know that, yes, in most
cases, they can -- I think its also important to highlight the great
features of ubuntu that just don't exist in windows so that hopefully after
the experience people will soon be saying "i do such and  such in ubuntu...
can i do the same in windows?" and the answer will be a resounding No :-)

I don't have experience with concurrent network installs of ubuntu, but
perhaps someone on the list can point to something, if that seems like a
feasible / convenient way to go .

Hope that helps - and all the best with  the migration ..

-Sanjay