I'm a user of Ubuntu and I try to promote it whereever I go. Recently
I have been working with a school to covert their systems to Ubuntu
and here are some problems that I faced.

* Standard Ubuntu Distribution doesn't play mp3 files
* Doesn't come with all Indian fonts (there are some by default but
more needs to be installed)
* Adding packages is painful when there is no/slow internet connection.

Only way to overcome this problem seems to have a distribution with
most of the required software available out-of-the-box.

I looked around to see if there is anybody is doing the same. There
were some initiatives like this[1], but looks like there are not under
active development.
(Please let me know if there is any such work in progress)

[1]: https://launchpad.net/~ind-ubuntu

So, I started building a new distribution with the following.

* language support for all Indian languages (language-support-te,
language-support-kn, ...)
* all indian fonts (ttf-telugu-fonts, ttf-kannada-fonts etc.)
* A/V codecs bad and ugly
* flash plugin (from adobe)
* indic-input-extension to firefox

To save space on the CD, I removed foreign language support and some
other less important packages.

I'm also thinking of creating a companion CD with some packages to
help people with no/slow internet connection to add additional
packages easily.

If you have are interested to participate or have any
suggestions/comments, please let me know.

Anand