I think you better buy motherboards from GIGABYTE or MSI  based on AMD
790G chipset,having onboard graphics(which are better than ATI Radeon
HD 2600 GPU's)in terms of performance & features.The onboard graphics
is an ATi Radeon 3300(which is very good for video and moderate 3D
tasks,you can also play some old games).These motherboards contain
socket AM2+,which is compatible with the latest Phenom-II
processors(you only need a BIOS update!!).
As far as I know ,Ubuntu-8.04(Hardy Heron) and 8.10(Intrepid Ibex)has
drivers(AMD-ATi Radeon 3300) enabled in their kernels,so you need not
have to search in the Ubuntu repositories(except for an update).
Just go for it and enjoy the show of UBUNTU with AMD Phenom
processors;AMD Motherboards and graphics.

On 3/19/09, Moz <list...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Onkar and Mehul.
>
>> Which Nvidia card is available on board? Is it not sufficient for your
>> needs?
>>
>> ATI Radeon HD 2600 is supported by radeon driver in repository. The
>> package is xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd. But I am not sure how good the
>> 3D support is.
>>
> I was trying to move away from NVIDIA because of Stallman's suggestions
> as NVIDIA does not share the info required for writing open source
> drivers. But it seems that is not for me yet!
>
> Moz

GOD BLESS US ALL!!!