On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 6:44 PM, sanath kumar
<dayanandasarasw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am working on a project and I want to find what file controls the
> monitor's brightness in a system. In my system, I found that to control the
> brightness of my monitor, I have to write different values to the file
> /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness. I am sure this will not be the same
> location on other machines too. Is there a command or some way that can help
> me find the correct file used by a system to control its brightness..? I
> want this badly. Because of this problem, my project is stuck in the middle.
>
> --
> SANATH KUMAR
> http://blog.ceglug.org/sanath

Sanath,

On most modern distros LCD brightness (and other functions requiring direct
access) is controlled using the HAL daemon. Your best bet to ensure that
your solution is valid across multiple enviroments (i.e. different laptops)
would be to read up on the HAL documentation or ask in #hal on freenet.
Writing directly to the proc filesystem would be a hack and might cause
breakage int the future.

Regards,

Ritesh