Hi,

> These phones don't have drivers of their own, they usually work with generic
> drivers. So it's most likely not a kernel level issue. (Did it work with
> Ubuntu 7.x ??)

Kingsly is right.  Could you also try the following?  'lsusb' will
give you the Vendor and Product ID.  I had similar issues with
Reliance LG LXU800, and I had to insert the 'usbserial' module with
the correct parameters.  The steps that I used are at my blog post
[1].  Have you tried searching on the Ubuntu Wiki [2] or Launchpad [3]
for details of your particular modem?

Please post the output of dmesg after inserting the usbserial or
usb-storage.  If the dialer is detected correctly, it should give a
success message, and the device will be mounted on /dev/ttyUSB*.  In
that case, try using wvdialconf/wvdial to configure it further.  Do
post further details, so that we can solve this issue.

URLs :
[1]. http://ninadpundalik.co.cc/blog/2009/05/lg-lxu800-dialer-on-ubuntu-jaunty/
[2]. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/
[3]. https://launchpad.net

Ninad S. Pundalik
http://ninadpundalik.co.cc/blog
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2DF7 B856 C75E C9F9 0504 C0EF D456 1946 7C45 2C69