2009/9/30 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.ar...@gmail.com>:
> Dear Friends,
>  I have a small problem in Ubuntu playing rm files, not all but only those
> available on http://www.aduni.org/courses/theory/index.php?view=cw
>
> All rm and rmvb videos can be played with my movie player, but not the
> videos on this particular website. But I can play it on Real player in
> Windows.
>
> I use Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit, so no real player officially available.
>
> I am open to suggestions including converting to some other format (I tried
> using ffmpeg, but cud not do it)
>
> Mallikarjun
> http://mallikarjuna.com

If you _must_ play it then your only choice is to add the Medibuntu
repo which provides 64 bit realplayer builds. Converting it will
surely cause loss of fidelity, however if that is acceptable you can
always try:

mencoder movie.rmvb -o movie.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=5
-oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=256

Which would spit out an AVI file. For it to work you need mplayer
installed along with the Win32 codecs.

Ref: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RealPlayerInstallationMethods