Hi

Some days back i had posted about some software being dropped from
future releases of Ubuntu, and this included GIMP

An article by Ryan Paul, who was present when the decision was taken
to drop GIMP from 10.04 is linked here
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/11/giving-up-the-gimp-is-a-sign-of-ubuntus-mainstream-maturity.ars

I am angry, because if there is one software that i really look
forward too then its GIMP. Everything else is replaceable and
duplicable – not GIMP.

What is below is a User's rebuttal to the Ubuntu Developers who are
deciding to drop. (the number points are extracts from the article
text which i have chosen to respond to)

1. Dropping GIMP is a sign of “Ubuntu's growing maturity as a
mainstream platform for regular users”

So who are the regular users – I have been a user since Ubuntu's first
version and GIMP has always been my favorite, even if not the most
used software. It allowed me a feel of what all is possible, it
allowed me to express my creativity such that no other software could,
it allows me the happiness of knowing that my machine is running
worldclass software and not some imitation. No other popular Ubuntu
software comes close. And as a “mature” and “regular” user i need
GIMP.

Are we also to assume that , as we users mature, we should move to a
distribution thats more advanced and that Ubuntu is essentially just a
dumbed down beginners version.

2. Its size footprint is especially problematic for Ubuntu,

Yes GIMP is big, how big, synaptic says, gimp and gimp-data total to
48.3 MB. I am sure that the developers can find a way to squeeze this
on. Compression technology is fairly advanced and knoppix type
Distributions pack far more than what Ubuntu manages for the same
space so how about including mHowever lets look at their condition
that the base install medium should be a CD. DVD's have become quite
ubiquitous, prices of DVD's now are less than what CD's where at the
time of the first Ubuntu distribution. So instead of dumping software
i think Ubuntu should start providing more – like include more
exciting stuff – celestia or stellarium, inscape, scribus, pdf tools,
audacity, kompozer, etc etc. I am sure there are tonnes of stuff out
there that can be included without detracting from the simple and
friendly approach and even if they are not installed by defualt they
are available to the user on the install medium.

3. There is a clear need for a lighter editing program that will start
faster and eschew features that are unnecessary for a majority of
users.

The replacement being offered is F-Spot – which the author says was
redone in an hour and a half to fill the gap being left by GIMP. So we
regular users now have to simply shift to F-spot because the UD's say
so. How about first providing us with a trial and then letting us
regular users decide if its worth it. F-spot has never been good
enough in the first place and its inclusion over something like gthumb
has always left me confused let alone as a replacement for GIMP.

4. The removal of a niche professional graphics editing tool reflects
Ubuntu's growing maturity as a mainstream platform for regular users.

I wonder if the number of regular users of Ubuntu are less than the
number of new users joining in. If so they maybe its time to figure
out if its worth having a separate distribution for newcomers , who i
think the developers think are dumb and not in a position to use gimp
and for not so dumb regulars who slog very hard to make the base
install of Ubuntu complete but installing a host of missing
applications.

As far are niche software goes – every thing about Ubuntu is niche

         - openoffice is a software used by office oriented
professionals so drop this and replace it with a text editor or maybe
some other scaled down lite version, after what do we need this slow
to load and heavy application for. We can easily get it from the
repository if need be.

         - Similarly dump evolution – afterall only a user whose used
it before is going to use this, a new user won't even know about a
mail client will they.

         - How about Firefox, the flag bearer of the open source
initiative. This is definetely a niche product, since it makes up only
25% of the installed browsers, thus i urge the Ubuntu Developers to
give us something more light weight and less nichey, I hope they have
something in mind. Firefox is too professional, heavy, slow and
niched.

         - Finally Ubuntu itself is only used by a small portion of
the computer users so why not drop this niche idea and just move on.

5. Still easy to get GIMP from the repositories

The trend of dropping software has been noticeable – first thunderbird
disappears from the install CD, then gthumb, wvdial and now GIMP. As a
regular Ubuntu user, and many others like me, every time we upgrade or
reinstall we have to either spend hours travelling and reaching a
broadband place and installing large numbers of other software to make
our system complete or wait till we lay our hands on repository DVD's.

No its not easy to get GIMP or any of the other software thats not on
the install CD. And this trend of having to depend on sources other
then the base install medium does not help at all. This is painful
enough that we have to wait to install critical software, not
available on our initial install medium.

6. I think that when people take a step back and objectively assess
the implications of removing the GIMP from the default installation,
they will see that it is really the right decision.

When i step back and think the only thought is that instead of the
default Ubuntu i will need to source a more complete deriviative or an
alternative Linux version that is more responsive to a regular users
needs. Ubuntu will , for me, be consigned to being a dumbed down
version of Linux not world class, not worthy of replacing a complete
OS and, not worthy of being promoted.

End note

I am a very active promoter of Linux and Ubuntu. Usually there are a
few copies of the latest Ubuntu that are always on me and at every
given chance i show it off – both on my machine as well as a live
session on some one elses machine. Invariably the first software i
show off is GIMP and what it can do to images – editing, adding text,
adding layers, scaling etc, and this gets people very impressed. In
todays day of instant digital devices the most prominent digital use
is of images – so apart from a good image viewer and manager there is
a need for a good image editor and for that there is no replacement
for GIMP.

So while giving up GIMP is a sign of Ubuntu's main stream maturity I
will be giving up on Ubuntu and look to move on to some thing that
looks to meet my needs.