Hi

Most of the points are covered. But my 2 bit

1. a separate home makes backing up easier.
2. In event of a crash (which unfortunately can be expected in the
more modern cutting edge distros) makes user data vulnerable and its
better off in a separate partition

3. While the software is installed in / (root) the preferences some
user data etc is stored in /home/user. Which means if you reinstall
you lose this. Eg if you use thunderbird all your mails are in
/home/user/.mozilla-thunderbird/etc . Note the ".". If you open yor
home and press ctrl+h it will show you a host of . files and folders
and you can actually see what all is stored there.

4. If you can back up your data then you can use a live cd / dvd and
use gpart to repartition and even move extra space from one partition
to the other

@ regarding swap - interesting question - how much is enough. Does any
one know of any diagnostic tools that can record swap usage over a
period of time (multiple log on etc) it would be good to know how much
swap is actually used.

ram