On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM, bkd.jdk <bkd....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2010 12:33 PM, K Ramnarayan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This isn't exactly a poll but thought that it would be good to know what
>> people would choose if they had to move away from Ubuntu.
>>
>> Before saying anything i want to put this on record. Ubuntu is one of the
>> best
>> distro's i have ever used. , its ease in installation, responsiveness to
>> multitude of hardware, the incredibly large and varied repositories, the very
>> decent derivatives (Mint, Ultimate etc) . The huge forum and support.
>> Basically i like it very much
>>
>> Over the recent months there has been a lot of chatter about minor and maybe
>> not so minor aspects.
>>
>> First there was the dropping and inclusion of different programmes (e.g.
>> GIMP)
>> not big things but when many small things add up they become to big.
> (OT)
> These changes may seem small, but they are really big ones. Especially
> the 'window buttons on the left' one. I really don't understand it, they
> shouldn't add such changes in an LTS release. If they would want to
> experiment, they can experiment in Lucid+1.
>> Then there is this
>> Ubuntu is not a democracy, Mark Shuttleworth
>>
>> Sounds crazy saying it like that but to read what he had to say check out
>>
>> Mark Shuttleworth: "This is not a democracy"
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/ubuntu-is-not-democratic.html
>>
>> and some related discussions
>>
>> http://www.osnews.com/story/23039/Kicking_in_Open_Doors_Open_Source_Is_Not_a_Democracy
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.itworld.com/open-source/101641/open-source-not-
>> democracy?source=smlynch
>>
> Well, Ubuntu has become very big and that's all because of it's
> community. Not because of Canonical. There are people who spend nights
> contributing to Ubuntu, just for the sake of the community and Canonical
> is now completely ignoring them. In my opinion there should be some kind
> of open poll before making big changes that would affect the whole
> community, but no why will they do it, "Ubuntu is not a democracy" ya
> know :)

Well thats what he meant. Kind off. The kernel team decides the kernel
because they are the ones who work on it. No one else can vote for
their decisions because they have the merit of packing the kernel. The
design team contribute to design and no one outside their team decides
upon the design because they spend nights contributing to it. That
sounds like a professional way to manage things.

On a personal note, I am completely OK with the buttons on the left.
In fact I had them on the left even before Canonical decided to (my
reason was because mac has it and mac > windows.. stupid reason though
). Plus, now I am used to it and sometimes feel weird using the
buttons on the right in MS Windows (I have the opposite problem). What
I reason to myself is that:
1) Canonical's design is new, it does not imitate mac (mac has the
opposite order) nor does it imitate windows. That is bad if you look
at it in terms of user migration from windows to ubuntu. But people
migrate to mac too from their windows and adapt well to it. So ubuntu
has something unique.

2) Mark Shuttleworth said that the next Ubuntu will have something
good on the right hand side. Right now there is the extra options to
move the windows from one workspace to the other and all that. But
hopefully they will get something good. I want a zeitgeist activity
journal integrated there. But lets hope for something better.

--
Ashutosh Rishi
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish