On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> I know i can go gksu nautilus and delete the Apt Cache in /var, but is
> there
> >> a better way of doing it.
> >> Something that will delete all extraneous cache and log files that
> buildup
> >> after a while of usage. Something like CCleaner in Windows. I know Linux
> >> does not collect too much extraneous data, but i am sure there is a lot
> that
> >> can be cleaned to clear up space on a space constrained drive/partition.
> >>

> >Yea, you are right.
> >/sudo apt-get clean/
> >Also now and then you can run *Computer Janitor* program under *System -->
> Admin*
>
> I think both the above methods only delete packages that are currently not
> needed and have no use. But it does not delete temp files, browser cache,
> thumbnails, old logs, application caches, etc. That is what i am more
> interested in knowing.

With my limited knowledge, I don't think there is any single application
which does all these.

sudo apt-get clean ----> Will clean "all" the deb files stored in
/var/cache/apt/archives

sudo apt-get autoremove --> remove programs not required like libraries

Browser Cache --> You can configure your Browser to remove them all,
depending on the browser

temp files --> May be you can remove manually, I think will be cleared when
you restart your session

applications caches ---> I really don't know. I would like to hear about
this...

old logs ---> I donno...

It is a good idea to write a script which does it all....