2010/6/15 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.ar...@gmail.com>

> Sorry for top posting, as i use mobile to send this mail
>
> Apart from using all these softwares, it depends a lot on us as well like
> 1) using strong passwords
> 2) limiting others to have physical assess (very important)
> 3) using secure browsers and various defensive addons like noscript
> 4) using trusted and secure dns to avoid any kind of dns caching
> 5) using common sense, whether to click on this link or not, whether
> to trust this application or not ...
>
> I think it is a security risk to comment about ones security mechanism
> in a public forum, but as far as my security model is concerned i use
> a lot of browser defensive addons some important ones include
> noscript, adblock, wot on firefox
>

> Absoultely agree with Mallikarjun. While i put this Q, i did not expect
anyone to go into detail about all the things they do or not do to keep safe
because that in itself will be unsafe, i just wanted wanted to know what you
guys considered important and what not so. The points I mentioned are also a
small part of my security thinking and implementation.

One reason i do not use Antivirus is that i had found it to be slowing down
my system drastically. I had installed ClamAV on a Ubuntu 9.04 (?) and it
had slowed down the whole system. Scanning something from Nautilus was also
so slow and would hang.

The other reason was that i thought, If it was essential Ubuntu would have
put it on the ISO. If its not there, so i may not need it. Of course this
reasoning can be deadly.