On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Rajat Khanduja
<rajatkhanduj...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I started using Ubuntu 9.10 in March'10...since then I've Windows on my
> comp as well...soon after, I noticed that inside every folder there was a
> file {foldername}.exe

This is a very common Virus which spreads through USB devices...

> Initially I thought it was a "windows" virus...and tried to clean it up
> using McAffee ...but even though I'm using Ubuntu more often...I end up
> getting them back..and even without using Windows....

I doubt it very much, but a small script written for a cross platform can
even run on Ubuntu but executable permissions will not be enabled by
default...

But I still think, you should have got in Windows only, may be after Macfee
cleaned, the virus reran the program

Can you share some more details, does the FAT/NTFS drives only have
{foldername}.exe or all the drives including Home (I doubt /root will be
affected)

> I'm sure its not normal for a ".exe" file to be created on its own in
> Ubuntu....what shall I do..I'm not using any antivirus..I've CLAMAV..but I
> don't know how to use the command-line version...

You are right, no executable permissions will be given by default...

May be you can Re-Install Windows XP if none of the Antivirus Software
applications able to clean those viruses...
I know this is the the last option, but I can't see any other solutions

Others pour in your suggestions...