On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Linux Lingam <linuxlin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Sanjay Bhangar <sanjaybhan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> hmmmmmmm ..... :)
>> (inline)
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Linux Lingam <linuxlin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> dear all,
>>>
>>> bewildered no software exists to do this,
>>> and thankful if you point me to one:
>>>
>>> 1. take several mp3 files.
>>> 2. create a playlist that sequences audio-clips from within these mp3-files.
>>>
>> I've faced this need several times also, and to be honest, have not
>> found an adequate solution. In my case, I would normally need this
>> feature for video files. In the end, I had a little script that would
>> use ffmpeg to cut the video files, create new files, and make a
>> playlist out of that.[snip]
>

> thanks sanjay for your humming response :-)
> [aside: gora, by the way, frowns upon emoticons]

apologies :)
(it was 4 in the morning or something, and I really was hmmming and
smiling looking at your email.. )

> the problem exists with video-segments too.
> i think i'm not looking hard enough.
> am sure radio stations need this 24x7.
> even tv stations need to create such playlists.
>
> surprising it is so hard to find this, eh! Sanjay?

Digging a bit, looking at common playlist formats -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlist - types of Playlist files --
none of the popular playlist formats (.pls, .m3u, .xspf, etc.) seem to
accomodate for time-code specific data, so not sure if any of these
players (vlc, winamp, etc.) would have in-built functionality for
this. If this is to be standard(ish) functionality for a player, it
would be nice to have a standard format for providing a list of media
files with specific in and out points. I couldn't really find a format
like that, which is a bit weird. Will continue digging - if you find
something, please do post to the list. If you (or anyone) want to
collaborate on building a browser-based tool to do this, let me know,
we'll take it off-list - hacking up something quick n dirty shouldn't
take too long. I know I have needed this feature often in the past,
and probably will again in the future -- its really useful to be able
to put together quick presentations of video material, etc. and saves
the hassle of having to cut each file.

Thanks,
Sanjay