On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Debian Testing (LMDE actually) as my Primary OS which until today
> also had/controlled the boot loader GRUB2.
>
> My install today of Ubuntu 11.04 on a spare partition and an oversight took
> away that control of GRUB2 from Debian to Ubuntu. I normally install grub to
> the respective partition and do an "sudo update-grub" from Debian to be able
> to boot all OS's.
> Normally this shouldn't be an issue at all, but i normally install and later
> wipe these OS's for checking them out and don't intend to keep them. So if i
> wipe the Ubuntu partition now, i will lose GRUB2 control ? or am I wrong?
> How do I restore GRUB2 control to Debian?
> FWIW, I don't have a separate boot partition (should have, I now realise)

Yes, if you wipe Ubuntu your machine will become unbootable.

First try 'sudo update-grub' from Ubuntu. See if it adds Debian
entries to /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
If it doesn't then do 'sudo grub-install /dev/<disk_device>'. The disk
device is likely to be sda but you can make sure that using sudo fdisk
-l.
Once the Debian entries are added boot into Debian and then do
grub-install from Debian.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.