Hi there niyam,
I've got a MBP 5,2 (2009 model)-- i.e. quite similar to yours. Several
years ago set up a dual boot with OSX/Ubuntu 9.04. Still running strong!
For that reason I have avoided trying to install a new one. But 12.04 is
an LTS version, and I have a lot of interest in trying it out. If you
install it--or find out any more information about using it on MBP 5,1
or 5,2 please report back here.

Regards
Swarup