Hi there,

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM, K Singh <triveni.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been using ubuntu since version 6 but of late am becoming
> disillusioned with ubuntu. Version 11.04 and 11.10 were buggy and
> 12.04 with the unity interface/windows mgt system is not as fast as
> gnome was. Plus in 12.04 it is not as easy to customise a lot of
> things which were easy to do with earlier versions through the
> commandline or the gui. It seems that the development of ubuntu is
> being hijacked by vested interests from the commercial
> competition--since the user no longer has the control over the OS like
> they had in previous versions and which was a hallmark of linux.
>
> It is also not easy to change the appearance of the screen to the
> earlier one in 10.04. 10.04 had a lot of options to change the
> appearance which 12.04 does not have.
>
> Is it possible to revert to the old gnome in 12.04 /12.10 also?

Yes it is possible. Simply install gnome-shell.
$ sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Doing so, you will have an option to choose between Unity and GNOME at the
login screen itself by clicking on the gear.

> I don't understand why they have to keep making changes to the
> appearance or the user interface with each succeeding version when the
> old interface was working so well.

I kind of disagree with you on this point. If no changes are made, then
there will be no development. While features like HUD and others have been
annoying to some, they are also been liked by many. So its not fair to say
why such changes are made. Obviously, some user feedback must have prompted
Canonical to make these drastic changes to the UI.

--
Warm Regards*,*
*Pratik Lahoti