On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Alok Singh Mahor <alokma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> for example google talk, yahoo messenger, skype, teamviewer etc works well.
> at max I have to set manual proxy only.
>
> but on the other hand to make pidgin or other open source alternate work I
> have to change default port etc.

What you are changing is the port on which the server listens on. The
above mentioned proprietory software, are distributed by the same
companies that run the server and thus can by default set the correct
port(and other settings) in the release. They don't want people who
don't have enough knowledge to fiddle around with those settings and
when things don't work they'll lose the consumers.

On the other hand, FOSS software is written by third party volunteers.
They try to understand the vendors settings and copy them over as much
as possible. But, they don't have control over when the upstream
vendor will change the settings. So, they'd rather provide the
facility to change the ports in the settings.
That said, your conclusion is rather erroneous for pidgin. Most of the
select service these days work as soon as you provide the your
authentication details, just as in the vendor releases. Only in
certain cases do you have to provide/change the default settings.
--
With Regards,
Mehul Ved