Not sure if this is the right mailing list, so if there is somewhere
better to send this to, please let me know. I’ve been trying to
automate an Ubuntu 12.04 unattended installation and cannot seem to
get exactly what I’m after with regards to partitioning. I’ve tried
several different ways using Kickstart, a preseed file, and some
combination of both, to no avail.

The partitioning scheme in question involves a bunch of workstations
with two drives, one larger than the other. I realized early on that
there seems to be no support for automatically partitioning a second
drive, so my first question is: Is there going to be support for
partitioning a second or multiple drives via debian-installer in
future Ubuntu releases?

The partitioning scheme I want is fairly simple, but a key piece of it
is that the first (smaller) drive has a (vfat) utility partition on it
that needs to stay and while Kickstart will allow me the option of
wiping all the Linux partitions, it seems to be confused by the second
disk and still asks me which partitioning method to use (Guided or
Manual) and doesn’t partition the drive. I tried preseeding the option
indicated in the debug log  (init_automatically_partition) using
‘biggest_free’ but that just seems to land me in an infinite loop
instead of actually partitioning /dev/sda. My question for this is:
What is the timing of Kickstart options versus preseed options? Is
there some precedence I’m missing? Is there a bug with using Kickstart
and having two drives?

Next, since I couldn’t get Kickstart to do what I needed, I tried just
using a preseed file but there’s no option for leaving any existing
partitions intact within the partman-auto options. Is there any plan
to allow for this in the future? Does it require something upstream
from Debian?

Lastly, I thought I might just work around this problem by using
early_command and late_command, but apparently fdisk and sfdisk are
not on the Alternate install CD any more. Is there any way these can
be put back on?

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
-Roman