Corey Burger wrote:
Hello all,

1. Edit the main page to be less wordy. Much less wordy. I also want
to add a little section with the words "Discover Ubuntu on the..." and
links underneath that say "Desktop" and "Server", pointing to their
respective pages. As such, I have copied the content over to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/MainPage

Sounds like a good idea, but is still a bit wordy. Youa re trying to appeal to people who have no idea about free software or ubuntu, because those that know about it will be able to judge it differently, eg. from reviews, and don't need pretty marketting from the website, The target audience is not at all interested in the philosophy, so how about "It's all free!" and provide a like to the philosophy so those who are interested can read it. Equally, just say its linux, the rest is just extra. The biggest problem is that there are instances of repetition, eg. stating parts of the philosophy twice. Cutting down on these would make the page much mroe accessable. more pictures would help too.
If you want to see a good idea of what I am trying to achieve, simply
look at the Linspire page. They seem to have done it best (but are far
from perfect as well).

I like your desktop page, but you can't really say that everything jsut works, because it doesn't, and you are setting people up for disappointment. This would only be possible if a) all the codecs etc. came preinstalled or b) a dialog came up on first boot giving that option, so that the user would just have to click a button adn then everythign would "just work." Maybe if we did this that would solve the legal issues too, as this could include a warning about the restrictions on software in certain jurisdictions (and list those jurisdictions which are problematic). When people find that it does not "just work" they wil be disappointed and promptly move back to windows, which seems counter productive.
Does my idea sound like crack?

not at all
Cheers,

Corey