Hi All,

Before I click send this time - I sent this earlier, but it appears to
have fallen off the internet.

Sorry if it appears if this turns into a bit of a rant, however the
thoughts have been fermenting for a while.

The name of this list is "ubuntu-marketing".
I use an operating system based on a polished GNOME desktop, it is
called Ubuntu.
I use a server version of Ubuntu on a couple of machines also.
I use Xubuntu on one box, which I am soon to gift to a friend, it
beats the P2 running some non *ubuntu he has.

Enough about me.
There is a community it is the Ubuntu community, it does stuff, mostly
there is this software we all use.
The idea of using other words to support this seems "not right". It
could be called identity dilution.
You dilute things to make them less strong.

Frankly, and maybe I am missing something here but it seems to me that
some of the great ideas here seem to miss the mission. The mission is
to promote Ubuntu, we do this by firing up people to evangelise what?
(For those who don't get this straight away, the $ symbol here is to
indicate that there is a value like X in algebra. I am alluding to the
fact that $word could be any word, but maybe it should have a
particular value.)
So we promote $word, where values of the $word is anything but Ubuntu.
I really don't see the value in that.

We have a core word - "Ubuntu"
Then we have shown that there is more value in saying Kubuntu after
all the KDE people put a k in front of everything.  ;-)  Following
from that Edubuntu and Xubuntu, and even nUbuntu all point particular
directions.

Currently I believe there is a project that is reaching a climax to
create a "Ubuntu-libre" or as some have called it "GNUbuntu" where gnu
is not ubuntu (Attrib Brian Brazil ;-)).

Why should a magazine, a project or anything associated with the
Ubuntu project either in spirit or other things that promote this
carry $word as not being at least part Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Virtual Paper, never call it by its initials, that becomes
Ultra Violet Products to name something that came from google, now
there is a strong brand, google.

Let me give you a few other strong brand or product names, so you can
see what I mean.

OpenOffice, MySQL, Apache, and so on, Linux, IBM, Sun, Java.
Call the Java news paper "beans" for you and yes, it is an excellent
pun, but is it right.
If you get close to the java space it might say to you "Enterprise",
where as it could be a user group thing, I don't know if it exists or
not, did not bother to "google" it directly.

So please people consider what the end objective is. When seen from
afar people should see that "Ubuntu" is a software way for running
your computer.

So to hammer my point with a very big blunt hammer ask yourself this
is the mission to:
a) Create confusion in the minds of your victims.
b) Create clarity in the minds of your readers.

Again sorry if it is a bit rough around the edges, but I think there
are a series of mistakes where the difference between the wood and
trees is not been seen.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley

## note I added 1 word to the main text several hours after the first
one was sent