On 9/10/06, Tom M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Are any efforts being made to specifically market to countries where
> the BSA is starting to crack down, such as Malaysia?

That would be something that the Marketing team would have to work
with the Malaysian LoCo team.

> I believe if adequate awareness of free alternatives were made that a
> large number of Free Software adoptions could occur.
>
> Something tangentially related has Ubuntu or Canonical considered
> promoting a free software CD for the proprietary platforms?  Ie
> something containing OpenOffice, Gimp, Scribus, Firefox, Thunderbird,
> and other prominent cross platform Free Software?  This would seem a
> logical approach to help companies transition to Ubuntu who could not
> full transition immediately but might be interested over the longer
> term.

The Ubuntu live cd contains some of this. Canonical also sponosors the
OpenCD, which is exactly that.

> The approach I would take would be to offer the CD as part of a large
> scale transition package, where a staged migration is planned - first
> scan all computers for existing software that is used on proprietary
> platforms.  Determine what have adequate feature set equivalents in
> the opensource world; and what can be migrated to WINE safely.  Then
> the contract could include adding of missing features to opensource
> projects for equivanlency or possible improvements to WINE for
> portability, or possibly migrating the few remaining proprietary
> environments into virtualized environments so that the specific needed
> programs can still be accessed but with reduced risk to the rest of
> the environment.

Interesting idea. This is something that is very specific to each
deployment, rather than something we can do.

Welcome, btw.

Corey