On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op zondag 15-10-2006 om 11:42 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Paul Sladen:
> > The sticker distribution model is currently excellent;
> Except for this poor soul who volunteered to distribute the stickers in
> Belgium and just got a 30 euro "sales and import tax" invoice today from
> Belgian customs.

(a) This should be appealable.  (b) System 76 might be willing to help with
that---it'd be worth asking them if nothing comes from talking to the
customs people.

> But, more on-topic, it would be great if we could somehow have a list of
> what to do or not to do when sending/receiving internationally, to avoid
> such problems as much as possible.

Providing a (genuine) estimate of the price of the good (eg. probably $10 in
this case?) is a good start.

> Maybe Canonical (shipit) or some other people have some experience with
> this, and they can share that experience?

The outside of the shipit boxes contain an introduction about the CDs and
that they are to be given away (free promotional marketing
materials) along with a small value per CD (0.13EUR).

The text is similar to the customs introduction letter at:

  http://www.ubuntu.com/include/docs/ShipItGenericCustomsLetter.pdf

        -Paul
--
High on a tall bridge, surrounded by noisy lorries.  Southampton, GB