Il giorno ven, 30/03/2007 alle 12.37 -0700, Corey Burger ha scritto:
> On 3/30/07, rohit sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have keenly been tracking progress of feisty fawn (since i plan to migrate
> > to ubuntu linux).
> >
> > Whilst viewing the screenshots of feisty fawn's alpha releases i noticed a
> > noteworthy change: the introduction of the gnome control center in the
> > system menu. This replaced the preferences and administration tabs. not only
> > was the control center a more visually appealing option, it was also easier
> > to use as it categorized all the tasks (against the two over sized menus).
> >
> > Very unfortunately though, in the latest beta release the control center has
> > been replaced by the same old tabs (preferences and administration).
> > do hope you give a thought to the control center.
> >
> > sincerely,
> > ruffrohit.
>
> This is certainly not the correct list to discuss this, but I will
> tell you why the control centre was removed: it was too slow. The menu
> opens on a cold boot in about 2 secs and less than 1 sec warm (after
> the panel has cached the information). The control centre took about 3
>  to 6 secs on the fastest of my machines. You then had to find it. So
> not only was it slower, it didn't make anything easier to find (as 2-d
> searching is slower than 1-d) for new people and make all that muscle
> memory for exisiting users useless. In other words, it was a bad
> change.
>
> What actually does need to happen is a merging of various
> configuration options by upstream, in this case GNOME, to make the
> list shorter, not a bandaid like the control centre.

I'm not convinced that this is true. The control-center was removed
because the code was extremely buggy, but as far as I know the intention
is to work on that and include it with the next release. I personally
think it is an excellent concept which is the way forward in terms of
presentation of configuration options to the user.

You're right that several configuration options need to be merged, but
that is a separate consideration, which is also a goal for upstream and
can be done together with implementing the control-center.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF