On 6/20/07, Chris Rowson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This message has been posted to Ubuntu-UK & Ubuntu Marketing because
> I'm hoping that there are people subscribed to both lists with
> thoughts on this subject.
>
> With Software Freedom Day around the corner (September 15th) I've been
> pondering upon the subject of how to reel in the punters.  I'm
> guessing that SFD 2007 will be accompanied by many a cheerful free
> software advocate out on the streets punting the benefits of using
> Ubuntu to the average Joe and Jane, and I'm thinking that a concerted
> marketing effort to underpin this can only help make these advocates
> more successful.
>
> We've talked about leaflets at Ubuntu-UK, and between us have come up
> with a couple of things that are not half bad. I think that the most
> important thing that I've learnt so far though is that there are a lot
> things we take for granted that Joe and Jane mightn't think about.
>
> Why is this important?
>
> I think we need to understand Joe and Jane a little better to be able
> to flog Ubuntu to them. Take a look at the 'selling interview' for
> instance:
>
> http://perso.orange.fr/pgreenfinch/mkting/mkting14
>
> The most important steps which underpin the entire process are
> understanding the customer, asking questions, clarifying, I think that
> the author mentions elsewhere 'falling in love with the customer a
> little bit!'. Sometimes it feels to me a little bit like we're jumping
> straight in a the deep end, without doing this preparation work.
>
> If we can develop a good profile of Joe and Jane and deliver marketing
> aimed entirely at them, and not what we think they want (or what we'd
> like to deliver ourselves) I reckon we might be able to sell Ubuntu a
> little better.
>
> Comments, opinions or ways to take this forward anyone?

In past my job I was a salesperson. I even sold desktop Linux. It was hard.

But I digress. The key point to make a sale is to discover a pain
point. If you can discover that pain point, such as a crashing
browser, or a slow computer, you have a hook. One key point to
remember here is that not everybodies pain is identical. In fact, by
hammering on one pain while in fact they have another is a great way
to lose somebody. For example, if you constantly talking about viruses
and in fact they are merely tired with MS Office crashing and you
never ask about it, you have likely lost that person.

Now you need to make certain that you can "win". This involves asking
about what exactly they do with their computer and making certain that
the product (in this case Ubuntu) can meet their need. This involves a
conversation wherein you are trying to get them to give up as much
information as possible, while revealing as few limitations as
possible.

A key part of this conversation is that you must not make people think
that their are limitations to your software. Even if somebody only
ever drove 35 km each day, nobody would buy a car that only goes 50
km, because they "might" want to go further some day.

Now, this is where salespeople get a terrible rap. Although I never
lied to customers, I never brought up stuff like OO.o not completely
opening all MS Office files, or Windows apps not running. I don't
think that is dishonest. Honestly. Planting doubt in somebodies mind
is never going to win anybody.

What I just described is not evil and it is really about intent. You
are getting them a superior product and you are not taking money from
them. But remember, you are a salesperson.

Corey