Tom M wrote:
>> It got noticed in the foss community because it was original.
>
> It got noticed in a thousand local papers, and in major news
> outlets because it was original.  The actual impact of the Times ad
> itself, was probably quite small, I'd be surprised if the ad itself
> generated even a thousand new users.

What does it take to create a new user, and how long is that process?

I was collecting articles from magazines about linux for many years,
but not acting on them, while still feeling 'stuck' with windows (3.11
win 98 and xp too).
Then I decided to attend an installfest taking a very old PC and was
very appreciative that linux could be installed, but later had no time
to persue it. However I was from then on convinced that linux actually
existed :-)
A full two years passed, until circumstances had moved (motivations,
awareness, time available, realisation, - 'life') on to a situation
when I actually purchased a retail pack via amazon (suse 9.1 as it
happens) (note - a typical windows-world activity - a retail purchase
from a mainstream outlet).

 From this stage onwards I was an *actual* linux user, installing in
spare PCs, downloading, finding my way in LUGs and forums.

To close a deal from cold includes a few processes. Initially
awareness with a developing interest and motivation. The later stages
for adopting linux involve anxiety and fear about Windows data loss,
and some change. Most PC users have their OS pre-installed. The idea
of not only changing from windows but also installing is daunting even
for most regular computer club members.

Mainstream advertising influences a whole climate of opinion.
Currently we are pushing at an open door I would like to push harder.

> The buzz created in other papers and in major news outlets was
> where the true value was.  (There is some marketing rule of thumb
> that an article is worth 100 equivalently sized ads.  The ad
> probably generated a 1000 articles - so arguably a hundred thousand
> multiplier was in effect.)  The firefox ad was maybe long enough
> ago that you might get some buzz from other media about it, but I
> doubt it will be close to the extent that firefox did.

Maybe since people now have realised that a community advert of that
type heralded such a good product, then readers will now be much more
likely to consider a more radical message. Not just to use a different
browser with Windows, but to try a complete alternative to Windows!
The advert may not gain much more comment but the message certainly will.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391