On 10/29/07, Ez Tips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I would like to know if anyone is keeping track of the WIFI devices that work
> with Ubuntu. Before someone snarls about this being off topic for the
> marketing group, think about how many people need to use wireless networks
> and how telling them to go and figure it out themselves is just going to
> scare them away from Linux.
>
> Hopefully someone is already doing something like this or there is a "Wifi"
> team that can help with this. I would be happy to collect the information
> about the devices that work and what software needs to be used to install
> them. The best devices of course would be ones that you can just plug them in
> and they just work.

Well, this is actually pretty easy:

Broadcom -  works with firmware, now easy with restricted manager
Atheros - works ootb (mostly)
Intel - works ootb
Others - unknown

Now, these are chipsets, not end user visible names (link dlink,
linksys, etc.). That is a much more difficult thing to figure out. The
best way is for them to simply try Ubuntu :)

Corey