IT might be possible to have a document hosting site specifically for
the marketing materials, in which a moderator has to look at posts,
instead of them just being posted, someone can then link to a page of
the document site from the fourms. It might also be good to have a
simple listing. I know the cms XOOPS has a file managment module,
though we can probably get a php/ruby/whatever else programmer to make
a custom one that looks relativey good, though i do remember a
marketing site that had something of the sort already.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Craig A. Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Something to think about, when setting up a site for marketing resources,
> is the physical size of those resources in kilobytes.  As a draftsman that
> had to do everything, I learned that resolution, whether of graphics or of
> documents, matters.  What is called "printer quality" resolution is 300 to
> 600 dots per inch (DPI).  This can result in very large files, and if
> Marketing is going to have resources available, will result in the need of
> considerable space to store them.
>
>  At the moment, I'm looking at the attachments portion of the Forums.  The
> last 2 columns have been deleted, since here I'm just discussing the
> physical size:
>

>   bmp 19.5 KB
>

>   bz2 976.6 KB
>

>   deb 976.6 KB
>

>   doc 195.3 KB
>

>   gif 976.6 KB
>

>   gpl 976.6 KB
>

>   gz 976.6 KB
>

>   jpe 19.5 KB
>

>   jpeg 19.5 KB
>

>   jpg 976.6 KB
>

>   odg 19.5 KB
>

>   odp 19.5 KB
>

>   ods 19.5 KB
>

>   odt 19.5 KB
>

>   pdf 19.5 KB
>

>   png 976.6 KB
>

>   psd 19.5 KB
>

>   py 19.5 KB
>

>   sh 19.5 KB
>

>   svg 976.6 KB
>

>   tar 976.6 KB
>

>   txt 19.5 KB
>

>   xcf 976.6 KB
>

>   zip 976.6 KB
>  Now, I have an odt file that the Arizona LoCo is using for a flier for the
> Hardy Heron release.  The size is 146.8 KB.  Obviously, I can't put that up
> on the forum for other people to edit, since odt format is restricted to
> 19.5 KB.  Yet that's exactly what we need to be able to do.  As a matter of
> fact, when I released it to the Team, I had to release it as a graphic, a
> jpg file
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64598&d=1207088622).
> Even acceptable pdf format size is way to small for use for submission, and
> that isn't even editable.
>
>  We need to be able to use editable formats and submit them as such, for
> others to be able to manipulate for their needs.  Submitting as a graphic
> doesn't cut it, where text is involved.  Alignments and special effects that
> can be done in OpenOffice.org are unavailable in GIMP, etc.  This may
> preclude using the forums as our means of sharing, and require some other
> method.
>
>  I don't happen to have a good answer to this problem, nor am I limiting my
> ideas to only that which I can conceive.  What I'm hoping is that others in
> Marketing might have suggestions that would solve the problem.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Craig
>  Tyche
>

> --

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the
present controls the past." - 1984

Random quote of the week/month/whenever i get to updating it: "Don't
worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have
to ram it down their throats."
 - Howard Aiken