Hello,
concerning this part of the message:

>"Even if we focus our
>efforts on helping the LoCos or other parts of the Ubuntu community by
>providing resources for their marketing efforts, our ultimate focus has
>to be outside the community. We are trying to convert people from
>Windows to Ubuntu, not from the default desktop to Xubuntu or Kubuntu or
>even from RedHat to Ubuntu. Our primary focus should always be on the
>Windows user and on showing them the benefits of both the product and
>the community."

I'd like to remind what we discussed and decided yesterday on IRC, about the
marketing team's goals (
"Provide resources to assist and encourage LoCo's in marketing their release
parties to the wider community." was one of them.) and, more importantly, the
long discussed mission statement: "The Marketing Team strives to create the
building blocks needed by the Ubuntu Community to spread Ubuntu throughout the
world."

So if the primary focus of every marketing active Ubuntero should indeed be on
showing the benefits of the product and actually *doing the marketing*, the
primary focus of _this team_ should, in my opinion and following what we
decided, be to provide all the necessary resources and inter-marketeer contacts
to do this at its best, not "on-terrain work" if you see my point. After
discussing the matter we agreed that this was the best and most effective way
of contributing to solve bug #1, for now.

A saying says: "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere
else." That is why we had the meeting, and I believe that the success will
greatly lie in not losing out of sight what the team's mission actually is.
(Reminder: Setting up the necessary and long-discussed infrastructure, which is
to be used by the marketeers, aka. anyone who talks or advertises Ubuntu,
anyone basically; individuals, Ubuntu teams and LoCo teams included.)
Of course, once we have achieved this goal, our mission statement will be able
to change slightly, moving on to the maintenance of the infrastructure, and
there will be more space for real actions, on-terrain marketing itself. But
let's not precipitate us and take on one objective after the other. I think we
should focus our efforts on the current objective we set ourselves yesterday,
then move on to a broader one, once we have achieved it.

In a ll cases, we should wait for the meetings summary on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Agenda before leading further
discussions, so that we are all talking in accordance with the outcome of the
meeting.

Best greetings,
pep,
Pierre Vorhagen.