> > I am confused about how "I'm Linux" is going to sell anything to anyone,
> > maybe you should consider using the mascot "Tux the Penguin" is you are
> > going to produce a copycat commercial in the first place.
>
> The way I read it there is no _requirement_ for it to be "I'm Linux"...
>
> "While you may be inspired by the Apple or Microsoft commercials, it's
> not a requirement to parody or make reference to them."
>
> I certainly wouldn't make anything that makes reference to them as the
> Mac ads are old and the Microsoft ones are a poor imitation (of an old
> concept), so what would that make a second generation copy?
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I dunno if I agree with you there Al,

I think that it might be a good idea to capitalise on the 'I'm a PC' adverts
that MS is currently spending millions of dollars on forcing down our necks.
I guess if MS is good at anything, they're good at
advertising/sales/promotion. I think coming back with a challenge to that ad
format helps create an association with Linux being a 'big player' operating
system along with Microsoft Windows (and of course Apple Macintosh).

Subverting the MS message delivered via this advertising method would be one
way of using the 'I'm a PC' message against them. If MS is spending a great
deal of money on building this brand image, it'd be interesting to try to
turn their brand 'equity' if you like, against them. Cue Kung Foo phrase!

Of course it's got to be clever though, as you rightly say we don't just
want a second generation poor imitation.

Just my two penneth worth!

Chris