Hello:

I'm not 100% sure of this but since the Linux Foundation is running this
contest, and that they are not going to pick a video that promotes a
particular  flavor of  Linux as the winner. Which is why I thought that
using Tux the penguin, created by Larry Ewing as the central feature
would be a good idea.

Telling people that don't even know something called Linux exists, about
all 350+ flavors in existence, is only going to scare them away.

It may be better to tell them they are using it right now, since most of
the websites they visit everyday are running on Linux based machines.
Why ? Because  people with rooms full of computers don't  want to pay
$2500  each for  Windows Server Enterprise License for every system that
they need to run their business. Because Linux server software is
available for free, and is more reliable. That means that they can use
that money for other things,: for example, increasing their bottom line.

Now, let's talk about the desktop market which is dominated by Microsoft
and Apple and the ordinary computer users that don't even understand
that they are paying anything for Windows. Why would they ? When Windows
is installed on the new computer that they just bought at
"Mega-Box-Mart" for $350.

The marketing majors here understand that advertising can be fun, but
not so much fun that people can't figure out what your are selling. If
you can eat it, drink it or smoke it, then people already know what the
product is and what it can do for them. That's why beer companies run a
lot of "fun" advertising.

The Pc vs. Mac ads are using the "Identify the Pain" and sell the cure
approach, it should be obvious that "the pain" is the PC and "the cure"
is the MAC. These ads have been drilled into people minds on T.V. (at
least here in Florida) and adding Linux to this going against the grain
and that could make Linux look like a either second rate product or just
a joke. Of course, we do not  want that to happen.  We all know that
Linux is neither second rate or a joke, but we aren't who we are selling
to.

As an added bonus; Here's even a bigger problem with PC vs. MAC, thing,
it's a hardware fight and Linux [software ] can run on both PC and MAC
hardware, especially now since Apple  has moved to Intel based
processors. Now where exactly do I buy a "Linux" ?

Good Luck, We wish that we had the resources to win this thing,  but  we
would need to hire animators and buy expensive equipment that we can't
afford. But we still like to kick this thing around over coffee, so feel
free to call us or send me (feravolo) a message on BrightKite.

Happy New Year,

Mike Feravolo
Just Another GNU/Linux Guy,

Software Freedom Innovations