Paul from what I understand and I sort of summarise what others have said...
What the Windows 7 advertisments are trying to communicate by saying "I'm a
PC and Windows 7 was my Idea" is that the developers of windows actually
listen to their end users.It puts power in the users hands by saying "I did
it". Windows 7 users start to feel that they are an important part of the
brand and the software development process and on some psychological level
own the software :)... Most large companies will go to great extents to find
out what their customers want. By creating this environment of "we are
listening" and "its all about you" they win people's hearts and generate a
healthy feedback mechanise where the end users tell the developer the sort
of features they want to see :)...  This is great market research for the
devloper.... And the amazing feeling of contributing to something is what
keeps users loyal to the brand. Very much like what open source software
does... Just my 20cents worth hehehe...