On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 17:20 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Most consumers don't want to think too much about FOSS, though, so for
> broader audience it can't be our primary message. It's there, and
> important, but it's not our primary message. We focus on the ways in
> which we're better (as a result of being FOSS).

They don't, doesn't that worry you?

Although I've noticed the poor community are very curious about how it
works economically (something that's hard to explain the best of times).
Various other audiences are tuning into different messages, I've seen
that resonance effect.

I'd be happier of course if a small section of our identity message was
just clear about FOSS, because customers tend to stay with Ubuntu
longer, suffer issues and unfamiliarity with more patience and tend to
join the community more readily when there are well defined positive
social values they're made aware of.

Perhaps the business world isn't like that. I'd love for us to make a
case beyond simple technical feats to all customers. We're inventing a
new economic production model and all we're talking about is how good
the machines are. Perhaps that's the way it always has to be, but I was
fairly sure the industrial revolution resonated with the enlightenment
values.

Regards, Martin Owens