OpenOffice, while not under DRM, is more efficient compared to Microsoft
Office. MSOffice may have a colorful GUI, but OpenOffice serves what
people want: compatibility.

OpenOffice can support MSOffice, WordPerfect, OpenDocuments, etc.
formats, while MSOffice, only until recently, only used MSOffice only
formats. They now support OpenDocuments with MSOffice 2007 SP2 and
Office 2010 Beta, but they still don't support some of the other formats
that people use.

Another example is Windows Media Player, that is related to DRM. They
check server to see if the music is flagged as copyrighted material,
preventing the ability to sync/copy over to a CD/DVD/mp3 player. FOSS
alternatives, such as Mozilla Songbird, does not do such a thing, and
would make users happier. Music is one of the most downloaded things in
the digital industry.

One thing to tell those who have not heard of FOSS is the level of
freedom presented to you. Freedom of browsing, music, office software,
etc. and demonstrate to them how much more efficient in terms of freedom
and cost compared to proprietary software. People don't want to spend
money on something that won't do what they want them to do. They would
be happy with free (freedom and optionally cost) that can do so much
more than what they paid hundreds of dollars for. I'm doing such a thing
to my high school Board of Education, since they use Office 2003, MSIE,
etc. and students bring in work with foreign formats, and using
OpenOffice would help cure the issue. MSIE to Firefox would potentially
increase their security, since MSIE is directly tied into Microsoft
Windows. I'm even suggesting that they have a few separate computers
with Linux Edubuntu for the mentally challenged to have educational
games to play with. Completely free of charge, so their budget is hardly
affected.

There's so many things you can do with FOSS over proprietary software.

"If it weren't for law and physics, I would be unstoppable."

"Fighting is the only thing...the only thing I was good at. But, at least I
always fought for what I believed in." ~Grey Fox, MGS  R.I.P

"Friends don't let friends use Microsoft Internet Explorer." Get Firefox now!
http://firefox.com

"When I'm running my own military state, first thing I'll do is outlaw
paperwork."